Sunday, March 23, 2014

CHAPTER 3-2: FAVOR


Charlie walked up the front path of Marina’s house. He had gone straight there from work. Knocking at the door, and without waiting for a response, he opened it and walked in.
Practically family, this behaviour had been normalised since childhood.
“Knock knock,” Charlie said, announcing his presence inside as he closed the door behind him.
“I’m in Mum’s room,” Marina called from down the hall.
Charlie walked down to her mother’s bedroom. Marina was not there.
“I’m just in here,” Marina said from the adjoining bathroom.
“Ok,” Charlie said, sitting down on the edge of the bed.
Despite the bathroom door being open, the layout meant that he couldn’t see Marina doing her makeup at the vanity, so he sat patiently, waiting for her to come out.
It wasn’t long before she did, wearing only underwear. Charlie was unfazed. He’d seen Marina in her underwear more times than he could remember.
“Did you get them?” Marina said, smiling eagerly.
“Yeah,” Charlie said.
His voice was flat, unable to share in Marina’s enthusiasm.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Marina said.
Charlie looked ashamed as he removed a packet of cigarettes from his pocket and handed them to Marina. She opened them as she moved to a nearby dresser where an ashtray and lighter had been placed in advance. 
“You’re having one now?” Charlie said, surprised. “I thought they were for the party?”
Marina took one out, put it to her mouth, and lit it.
“They are,” Marina said, turning to Charlie with an exhale of smoke, ”and this is the pre-party.”
Despite Marina’s facetiousness, Charlie looked at her with disappointment. He knew she had started smoking with her friends at parties months ago, but this was the first time he had witnessed it himself.
“Don’t look at me like that,” Marina said.
“Like what?” Charlie said, knowing very well what he was doing.
“Like that!” Marina said. “I know that look. That’s your disapproving look.”
Charlie just shrugged.
“It’s not like I do it all the time,” Marina said, trying to justify her actions. “Besides, if you didn’t want me to smoke, you shouldn’t have got them for me, so—”
She poked her tongue out at him and returned to the bathroom, taking the ashtray with her.
Charlie was glad Marina chose to smoke in the bathroom, out of sight. Seeing her light up was nauseating enough, as was the acrid smell now wafting from the adjacent room. If he was forced to endure both unabated, he more than likely would have walked out.
“Aren’t you worried your Mom will smell it when she gets home?” Charlie said to the empty doorway.
“Nah,” Marina said, “I’ve got all the windows open. It’ll be gone by then.”
“If you say so,” Charlie said, dismissing her logic.
“So has your Dad gone?” Marina said, intentionally changing the subject.
“Yeah,” Charlie said, “he left when I was at work.”
“Both home alone, yet again,” Marina said.
“Yep,” Charlie said. “It’s a good start to the holidays.”
“Hey, how’d you go getting all that stuff off last night?” Marina said. “I was scrubbing for hours. I still think I can smell it.”
“I only got a little bit on my face,” Charlie said, scratching at his cheek. “I think it’s coming up in a rash though.”
Marina poked her head around the doorway to look at him. “Really?”
“Yeah, it’s been itchy all morning,” Charlie said. “I think it’s my seafood allergy.”
“If it is, it’s a good thing I’m not allergic,” Marina said. “Though I was feeling a bit queasy when I woke up this morning.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. Luckily it went away after my morning swim,” Marina said, ducking back into the bathroom.
Charlie laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling fan spinning at full speed above him. I wonder if that’s part of Marina’s brilliant smoke-vanquishing plan, he thought with a grin.
“Are you nervous about everyone seeing you with braces for the first time?” Charlie said.
“Not really,” Marina said. “Teagan and Ali already have them and Kate’s getting them soon too.”
“Wow, you’ll have quite the little metal-mouth club going on, won’t you?” Charlie said with a chuckle.
Marina leaned into the doorway, half-smiling and half-angry, and threw a tube of toothpaste at him, bouncing off his stomach onto the far-side floor, just missing his face on its path.
Charlie lifted his head in time to see Marina disappear back around the corner. He smiled and laid back down.
“You are coming tonight, aren’t you?” Marina said.
“I don’t know,” Charlie said, hesitant.
Marina stepped fully into the doorway. “Charlie!” she scolded.
Charlie sat up. “What? You know I don’t get along with any of your friends.”
“But it’s my birthday.”
“Not for three days.”
“You know what I mean,” Marina said. “Don’t make me beg.”
Charlie said nothing.
Marina groaned and ran up to him. She dropped to her knees in front of him, propping her elbows on his thighs and clenching her hands together.
“Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaase?” Marina said with the best puppydog eyes she could muster.
Charlie smiled. “Fine, I’ll come.”
Marina smiled and sprang up, tackling him to the bed with a hug.
Despite the smell of fresh smoke clinging to Marina almost making him gag, Charlie couldn't help but relish such a rare moment of affection.
“Thank you,” Marina whispered into his ear.
“You’re... welcome?” Charlie said, feigning awkwardness as he pat her on the back.
Marina jumped off, still smiling with excitement. “You just wait until you see the dress I bought.”

No comments:

Post a Comment